tez-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Eagles <jeag...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Design doc for new feature?
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2018 20:39:53 GMT
Welcome and thank you for reaching out, Yingda.

Here is a sample of the process. Feel free to create a new JIRA for each
feature. You can attach a design doc to the JIRA and request for comments
on the dev list. After design discussions, usually the design takes one of
two paths. For smaller projects, subtasks are added to the JIRA(umbrella)
and are added in pieces. For larger projects, a feature branch is created
and sub-jiras are committed directly to the feature branch and later merged
back to the main line.

As far as google doc link versus other formats, I feel this is ok as it
does not require certain software to read and contribute to the design
discussion. However, versioning and history of changes are part of a
separate application as opposed to being stand alone in the JIRA. I'm ok
with google doc as well as PDF.

Please have a look at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TEZ/How+to+Contribute+to+Tez for
some process.

Get signed up for tez development and let me know what apache jira account
(others welcome as well) to add to the contributors list, so that you are
able to assign jiras to yourself.

Regards,
Jon Eagles
Tez PMC Chair