thrift-user mailing list archives

From David Reiss <dre...@facebook.com>
Subject Re: Compatibility of changes during incubation
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2008 18:31:09 GMT
I think that something as simple as a search-and-replace is fine.
Binary incompatibilities that require a clean rebuild are fine too.
Even changes that require code to be regenerated, while annoying,
are okay, though it would be nice to batch them up, and we should
implement some automatic version-checking first.

However, I think that changes that require developers to make
nontrivial changes to their applications and actually *think*
just because they want to upgrade Thrift should be avoided unless
a really solid case can be made for their inclusion.  (Either
because they provide a really big benefit, or the number of programs
that have to be re-thought is relatively small.)

I know that, as a new Thrift user, you want to mold everything
to fit your expectations, but please have mercy me, who would
be responsible for updating dozens of programs at Facebook to
work with the new version!

--David