thrift-user mailing list archives

From "Johan Stuyts" <j.stu...@zybber.nl>
Subject Multiplexed, poolable transport
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2008 18:34:47 GMT
Hi,

Is anyone interested in writing a specification for a multiplexed,
poolable transport?

My use case is this: I separate my applications in a server tier
containing all the business logic, validation and security, and one or
more presentation tiers. All functionality of the application is exposed
using multiple Thrift services. The current implementation requires
opening a new server socket for each service. When the number of services
grows this becomes very cumbersome. Also a connection to the server can be
used for only one invocation which makes invocations expensive because the
TCP handshake has to be performed each time.

What I am proposing is similar to database connections. The client pools a
number of connections to the server. When a request has to be made, a
connection is retrieved from the pool, a function of an arbitrary service
is invoked and the connection is returned to the pool.

The advantages are:
- more friendly to firewalls. Only one socket per application needs to be
opened.
- better performance because connections are kept open indefinitely so the
expensive TCP handshake can be omitted.

I have no experience writing protocols so I will need help to write the
specification.

--
Kind regards,

Johan Stuyts