thrift-user mailing list archives

From "Johan Stuyts" <j.stu...@zybber.nl>
Subject Re: Null ret val
Date Sun, 08 Jun 2008 11:20:37 GMT
> How do I handle null ret vals ? I just get
> com.facebook.thrift.TApplicationException: get failed: unknown result
> when
> returning null which I need to do sometimes.

This is not supported at the moment. The generated (Java) code checks if a
result value has been returned. In case of 'null' it obviously has not
been. Although this is required for Java primitive types because 'null'
cannot be returned in this case, for strings, containers and structs
'null' could be returned.

The changes required to return 'null' instead of throwing an exception are
trivial. I can create an issue and add a patch for the Java compiler to it
if nobody objects.

--
Kind regards,

Johan Stuyts