thrift-user mailing list archives

From "Phillip B Oldham" <phillip.old...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tracing request origin?
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2008 19:39:22 GMT
On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 7:45 PM, Mark Slee <mslee@facebook.com> wrote:
> Sorry if this has already been replied to (didn't see one).

Nope - thought I'd been forgotten!

> This isn't possible in the application layer, because there's no
> requirement that requests to a service handler have to be made via a
> network at all, hence IP might be irrelevant. This is encapsulated
> entirely at the transport layer.
>
> If you need to trace this, you can either modify/extend a TServer or
> TServerTransport of your choice to keep track of this information in
> whatever means you find appropriate, or you can pass along client
> information as part of the actual method call.
>
> If your application depends on client information to function properly,
> then I'd recommend the latter as it really is part of the application,
> but if this is just for debugging, then I'd probably recommend the
> former.

Its more about tracking access, authentication, and authorisation.

I'd like to provide access to a web service using thrift, however I
need to ensure only a certain number of specific apps have access to
the service information, and that they're not accessing information
other than their own and that which is shared.

Any recommendations on how to achieve this with thrift?

--
Phillip B Oldham
phillip.oldham@gmail.com