thrift-user mailing list archives

From "Hannes Baldursson" <hann...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Win32 Binary for the Thrift Compiler
Date Fri, 17 Oct 2008 05:07:50 GMT

> The Thrift *compiler* can be built on Windows, with the aid of Cygwin
> and/or MinGW.  There is some documentation on how to do this on the wiki,
> but given your next comment I'll assume you followed it.  Can you post any
> specific errors you encountered?

It didn't go that far. It took me a lot of time to figure out how to setup
and use MinGW and just gave up. Didn't matter for me anyway, I built it on
my linux machine and it generates the same code and will eventually use it
as my primary workstation.

I would like to see binaries distributed eventually.  At my company, we
> distribute Thrift internally via a Windows setup file after building.  If
> Thrift
> begins distributing binaries, perhaps the NSIS script would be useful?

A NSIS script would be awesome! But a .zip file could also do the trick. I
just don't think it's user-frendly to be required to build it from source.
It's just not worth the  hassle to install MinGW or Cygwin and the other
required toolkits just to build it when it could be easy as point-and-click.
On the other hand it doesn't matter if you use the GNU win32 toolkit all the
time...

I personally found it useful to begin with the tutorial and then read the
> Facebook contrib files and the Hbase API.

I'll check it out!

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Hannes Baldursson