thrift-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>
Subject Re: default, required, optional
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2008 23:59:14 GMT
Comments inline.

On Oct 31, 2008, at 4:44 PM, David Reiss wrote:

> Yeah, defaulting isset to true would go most of the way.  There are
> a couple of weird cases, though.
>
> 1/ When reading a structure, you would have to clear out __isset
> before
> reading to distinguish between set and unset fields in the serialized
> data.  One behavior that is possible now is to set some default values
> in a structure and then read into it, effectively merging with the
> serialized data.  If we clear out isset before reading, this behavior
> would change a bit.
Merging structs together like this is a little weird from the start.
If you can do this now, it means you can't reuse the same structure
instance to read subsequent items off the wire without manually
clearing them, which is pretty awkward. If merging structures is a
desired usecase, then there should be separate methods for it.

> 2/ If you read a structure, set more fields, and write it, you would
> have to remember to set isset to true.
I see what you are saying here. Again, though, this only bites you if
you are using code that doesn't manage the __isset for you. Maybe I'm
biased because I used java:beans and Ruby, both of which aren't
affected by __isset issues like this one. Which other libraries are?
For the ones that are, can they use getter/setter or property
functions to simulate the same use pattern but still maintain the
__isset properly?