thrift-user mailing list archives

From Suhail Doshi <digitalwarf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Don't get it (Erlang)
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2008 21:12:47 GMT
Hannes Baldursson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having some troubles with the Erlang generated code from Thrift. I might
> add that I'm a newbie in using Thrift and got minimal knowledge about Erlang
> but I'm fairly experienced in programming.
>
> I've been looking at the tutorial where in one directory "tutorial/erl/"
> there are files called "server.erl" and "server.sh" that seem to be an
> implementation of the RPC functions. Am I missing something or doesn't
> Thrift generate server stubs based on my definition file?
>
> All the generated files I see are in the gen-erl and I can't see that any
> one of them do what server.erl does... am I missing something or do I have
> to hand code the "server.erl" file
>
> btw, I will make sure to add your points into the wiki page
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Hannes Baldursson

Hi Hannes,

I am very new to thrift too, just started hacking away at it last week.
Fortunately I was lucky to be friends with Todd Lipcon who made the
Erlang bindings for Thrift in the first place. Something very useful is:

http://github.com/toddlipcon/thrift_erl_skel/tree/master

Play around and check it out, should give you a great stepping stone.
You might get stuck make the erlang app, make sure to check where your
rpc directory is pointing to in gen/Makefile.

Suhail