thrift-user mailing list archives

From Mark Slee <ms...@facebook.com>
Subject RE: Some thoughts about changes to Thrift
Date Fri, 06 Mar 2009 19:36:34 GMT
I do just want to call out again here that AFAIK Java tends not to be distributed with many
flavors of Linux, whereas Python does.

If a rewriting effort is undertaken, I'd just throw out a big +1 to fullly considering Python
in addition to Java.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rush Manbert [mailto:rush@manbert.com]
Sent: Friday, March 06, 2009 10:01 AM
To: thrift-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Some thoughts about changes to Thrift

I don't use any command line tools that are Java-based, so I'm speaking from lack of experience
here. :-)

IMHO, a major feature of any tool implementation is that it be easy to integrate into user's
build environments on all supported platforms.
In my case, this means that I need use the tool from a Xcode project and also from a Visual
Studio project. When we eventually support Linux, then I guess I'l need to use in a big Makefile-based
set of projects. It may mean that I need to write appropriate makefiles and use the make-flavor
of project that Xcode and VS support. On the Mac, in particular, this is important because
I can make my library project that uses Thrift depend on the project that generates the sources
using the compiler.

So what I'm saying is please take this into consideration when picking the cross-platform
language to use for rewriting the compiler. My personal choice would be Python, because it's
nice and clean to use from the command line, there are template engines available for it,
and installing Python on Windows is pretty easy. But if a Java-based tool has all the same
characteristics, then go for it.

- Rush