thrift-user mailing list archives

From Franis Sirkovic <franis.sirko...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Some thoughts about changes to Thrift
Date Sat, 07 Mar 2009 17:57:59 GMT
I would like to remind you that thrift libraries should be unified.
I have used C#, Python and Erlang libraries and there are significant
differences between them. I suppose other libraries are different too.
For example, Erlang server will disconnect after 10 seconds (hard coded in
source) and Python server will wait forever. You can stop C# and Erlang
server (they have Stop() methods, Java server also has Stop method).
Keyboard interrupt is only way to stop Python server  (I didn't find other
way).
Also, there is no way to customize C# or Java servers. There are just public
and private members. I think that there should be a way to customize classes
in all languages. For example, I have this problem because I need
notification when connection is broken. Of course, couple of standard
methods in Handler interface (new_client(), closed(), ...) can solve this
problem.

Best wishes, Franis.