thrift-user mailing list archives

From Franis Sirkovic <franis.sirko...@gmail.com>
Subject Library unification
Date Tue, 10 Mar 2009 10:01:35 GMT
I  see library unification as a big problem.
I have used C#, Python and Erlang libraries and there are significant
differences between them. I suppose other libraries are different too.
For example, Erlang server will disconnect after 10 seconds (hard coded in
source) and Python server will wait forever.
You can stop C# and Java server (they have Stop() methods). Keyboard
interrupt is only way to stop Python server  (I didn't find other way).
Erlang server has stop "method", but you stop only listener. Client
connections will stay alive forever.
Also, there is no way to customize C# or Java servers. There are just public
and private members. I think that there should be a way to customize classes
in all languages. For example, I have this problem because I need
notification when connection is broken. Of course, couple of standard
methods in Handler interface (new_client(), closed(), ...) can solve this
problem. Or, maybe better, just one notify() method that will receive all
notifications (like Erlang handle_info() function).

Best wishes, Franis.