thrift-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Some thoughts about changes to Thrift
Date Mon, 16 Mar 2009 06:20:14 GMT
One big issue is that right now, it isn't clear at all how to build the
compiler in isolation from the rest of the system.  Once you commit to
building the C language server support, then you have a bit of a barney on
your hands because you have to build some pretty hairy things like boost.

If it were more clear how to build the compiler alone, then I would find
thrift much more portable.  To be clear, this is largely because I just
don't care about the C++ bindings.

The effect is a bit similar on Mac and Linux platforms, especially if you
don't have something like darwin ports on Mac or can't install packages at a
systems level on Linux.  You are then subject to a several hours long
dependency download and compile exercise.  The dependencies for the compiler
alone should (presumably) be vastly simpler.

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve