thrift-user mailing list archives

From Michael Greene <michael.gre...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Some thoughts about changes to Thrift
Date Thu, 12 Mar 2009 19:28:24 GMT
I don't know *why* it's a hassle, but it is.  It's just a pain to set up.
I'm not sure exactly why I can't build it with whatever build environment I
want, that's a good point.  Most of what I know about MinGW and MSYS comes
from trying to get Thrift to work smoothly for me, and I've never been able
to figure out how to generate a flex lib that VC++ can link.

Additionally, I follow roughly the same instructions each time (those on the
wiki) but there are usually weeks between setting up different systems for
development internally here, and each time it's magic whether it works for
me in the first hour or not (or whether I give up).  I realize this is vague
and sounds like an ignorant response, but I've been working with Thrift for
awhile and this describes my experience on Windows.  Based on the many
messages on the lists and IRC, it's clear that others have difficulty as
well.