thrift-user mailing list archives

From Joel Meyer <joel.me...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: question about using one transport in both directions
Date Tue, 28 Apr 2009 18:29:56 GMT
On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 5:31 AM, Yordan Pavlov <y.d.pavlov@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> the intuitive way of offering a service seems to be to create a
> server. For instance TNonblockingServer takes port number in its
> constructor. What I want to achieve is establish a tcp connection and
> use it for services offered by both parties in the communication. What
> I have is a plugin based architecture, I want the main application to
> open a listener and allow connections (some sort of authentication
> should also take place). The main application should then offer some
> service at this listener as well as being able to use services offered
> by the other side when they connect to the the main application.
>
> What seems to be the "good practice" to do this inThrift. I hope I
> have managed to illustrate my question, if need is I will clarify
> further. Thanks for your time!

There was a thread called "Using thrift as part of a game network protocol"
that dealt with a similar issue:

Thread start (in March):
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-thrift-user/200903.mbox/%3cfba570180903222254u61876853o7daed3fee53f8db@mail.gmail.com%3e

Thread continue (in April):
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-thrift-user/200904.mbox/%3c5e50457d0904021617x2056785dq1b7ed074e3919bf0@mail.gmail.com%3e

In short (and it's nowhere near being a 'best practice') you could achieve
this using all 'oneway void' messages if you're willing to move the blocking
from the protocol layer into your application layer (or design your app to
use async calls).

Hope that helps,
Joel