thrift-user mailing list archives

From Debacker <deback...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: json protocol for .NET
Date Sun, 12 Apr 2009 18:37:27 GMT

> 1.      Aren't mailing lists so 90s ? Why not use a forum so the archive is
> public? Or does it exist and I just missed it?

Well, I have more than twenty subscriptions to mailing lists for various
open source projects, but maybe you come from another community where it is
not that common :)

> 2.      I noticed that the C# implementation only has the TBinaryProtocol,
> but not other protocols that are available in C++ & java. Are there plans of
> implementing them?

>From what I can see, it's not on the todo list at
http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&pid=12310800&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&component=12312361

3.      Are there best practice for using code-generation in the build
> process (in Visual Studio, specifically)?
>
> a.      Do you keep the autogenerated server/client code in the source
> control, or just the IDL?

It depends if you auto generate it or not... Usually when someone checkout a
project, the 'standard' build procedure should create the executable file.
So if your make file (or solution file) generates the source code
automatically, it would be a bad idea to put these files under version
control. On the other hand, if this is a manual process, that is only done
when you decide to upgrade your RPC, make it version controlled.

> b.      What do you use to generate the cs files from the IDL inside the
> Visual Studio IDE?
> I found the MSBuild task, but I don't know how to use it in the build
> process from Visual Studio (as opposed to a console build).
> In C++ one can use custom build actions, but from what I found C# projects
> in Visual Studio 2008 only support "design time" code generation, which I'm
> not sure is compatible with what I want.

If you look at the source code of the MSBuildTask (
http://gitweb.thrift-rpc.org/?p=thrift.git;a=blob;f=lib/csharp/ThriftMSBuildTask/ThriftBuild.cs;h=4389e0a6e40336adeb7d4c7fa769241ee308c8b4;hb=HEAD)
we can see that it depends on the thrift compiler and the csc compiler.

Now, this ms build task can be included in a 'modern' (at least VS 2005 I
think) C# project file. If you look at such an file (.csproj), you will
notice that the XML follows
http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003, hence is a MSBuild
file. What you can do is read the MS Build reference doc, and add it
manually. Maybe that a Visual Studio expert could help you more.