thrift-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: multi thread requests handling
Date Fri, 24 Apr 2009 17:55:41 GMT
The tide in the ongoing debate between thread per connection and state
machine approaches has turned a bit recently.  Having a whale of a lot of
threads is not nearly as expensive as it once was.  In fact, as the
state-machine implementation gets more complex, the amount of state that has
to be maintained for each pending transaction leads to an implementation
which is essentially build a thread scheduler without hardware support.  On
the other side, general thread schedulers have been getting awesomely much
better with the result that thread per transaction is becoming a very viable
model.

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve