thrift-user mailing list archives

From Michael Greene <michael.gre...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Performance issue
Date Thu, 16 Jul 2009 17:12:27 GMT
I don't know why this initial connection latency is there, and I'd be
interested in helping you track it down if you come up with anything
else.

My usage pattern doesn't really run into this problem much.  If the
connections are re-used at all it becomes much less of a problem.  For
instance, with a slightly modified TestClient for better reporting I
get the following results on a pretty mid-grade developer machine
(Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 100Mb eth):

>ThriftTest.exe client -b -n 1
Total time: 00:00:00.2219094 (hh:mm:ss)
Time per run: 221ms
Time per service call: 11.05ms

>ThriftTest.exe client -b -n 10
Total time: 00:00:00.4213149 (hh:mm:ss)
Time per run: 42.1ms
Time per service call: 2.105ms

>ThriftTest.exe client -b -n 50
Total time: 00:00:01.1194741 (hh:mm:ss)
Time per run: 22.38ms
Time per service call: 1.119ms

>ThriftTest.exe client -b -n 500
Total time: 00:00:08.9140619 (hh:mm:ss)
Time per run: 17.828ms
Time per service call: 0.8914ms

This is on a Windows machine with VS2008, Mono results may vary -- we
aren't using any secret Microsoft sauce though, and the results should
be portable.

Michael