thrift-user mailing list archives

From "Rob S." <rsli...@sfu.ca>
Subject Introduction and question
Date Wed, 12 Aug 2009 07:09:45 GMT
Hi everyone,

Just recently learned of Thrift while reading about NoSQL (I can't
recall the connection either, don't ask ;)  I've already made some
trivial updates to the Wiki as I come up to speed.

So far we've experimented with Java, C++ and Python communication and
it's been a relatively smooth ride.

What we like:
- Simple, straightforward IDL (and Mark's tutorial in IDL form was a
great idea).
- Copious amounts of generated code (e.g. skeleton C++ server, Python-
remote client).

What we're wondering about:
- Am I correct that you're permitted one service per socket?  It seems
like you'd have to strike a balance between a single massive service
and having several ports open.  Something about this doesn't pass the
sniff test for me.  Are people really just defining one massive
service definition?
- Is there a plan to transfer comments to the generated interfaces?  I
have to keep peeking back at the IDL comments to see what exactly it
is I should be returning (or expecting).  There's certainly an
argument here for clear method naming although I think you get my
point :)

Thanks everyone,

Rob