thrift-user mailing list archives

From Rush Manbert <r...@manbert.com>
Subject Re: Compiling under PPC
Date Wed, 05 Aug 2009 15:02:58 GMT

On Aug 5, 2009, at 12:23 AM, Jonathan Stoppani wrote:

> Hi All,
> I'm triyng to install thrift on my PowerMac G5 (OS X 10.5.7) but I'm
> getting the following errors:
>
>    src/protocol/TCompactProtocol.cpp: In member function 'virtual
> uint32_t
> apache::thrift::protocol::TCompactProtocol::writeDouble(double)':
>    src/protocol/TCompactProtocol.cpp:217: error: 'htolell' was not
> declared in this scope
>    src/protocol/TCompactProtocol.cpp: In member function 'virtual
> uint32_t
> apache::thrift::protocol::TCompactProtocol::readDouble(double&)':
>    src/protocol/TCompactProtocol.cpp:582: error: 'letohll' was not
> declared in this scope
>
> Anyone has an idea of why is it happening?

Hi Jonathan,

These macros are defined in lib/cpp/src/protocol/TProtocol.h, but
they're (obviously) dependent on the byte order of your machine. I
have built Thrift many times under 10.5.7, but I'm on an Intel Mac so
I have never built on a PPC machine.

I just compiled TCompactProtocol.cpp after adding #warnings to
TProtocol.h that let me know what path was taken through the header
definitions. It turns out that I got the definitions at line 134 (the
"else" that goes with "# if defined(__GNUC__) && defined(__GLIBC__)"),
so I suspect that you see the definitions starting at line 114, which
do NOT define htolell or letohll.

This looks like a bug. It can be fixed by adding the proper
definitions for the macros. I can't seem to find anything that defines
what these do, though, so it's not a slam dunk. If I look at the
little endian code, neither of these macros do anything, so I would
guess that for your case they should be defined as:

#  define htolell(n) bswap_64(n)
#  define letohll(n) bswap_64(n)

which would agree with what's done at line 111. That gives me
confidence. You could try adding these lines after line 124, but I
don't know how you verify that they're the correct definitions. (What
does htolell mean? Host to Little Endian Long Long?)

Best regards,
Rush