thrift-user mailing list archives

From Samir Mulder <samir.mul...@gmail.com>
Subject recursive datatypes
Date Tue, 04 Aug 2009 16:50:22 GMT
Hi,

I've been using Thrift for over a year now and love it. It has really
increased my productivity in rolling out distributes services.

But the project I'm working on now needs a feature I haven't needed
before and Thrift does not seem to support it. And that is recursion
in a datatype. The example is that of a folder with subfolders:

struct Folder
{
   1: some data....
   2: list<Folder> subfolders
}

The compiler does not allow this since the type 'Folder' is not yet
defined when it reaches the 'subfolders' item.

For this particular project allowing recursion is critical. Google
Protocol Buffers supports it but I don't really want to switch to that
this late in the game.

Any ideas on how to work around this? Is something like this planned
for a future release?

Thanks.

Samir