thrift-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>
Subject Re: Introduction and question
Date Wed, 12 Aug 2009 16:12:29 GMT

On Aug 12, 2009, at 12:09 AM, Rob S. wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Just recently learned of Thrift while reading about NoSQL (I can't
> recall the connection either, don't ask ;)  I've already made some
> trivial updates to the Wiki as I come up to speed.

HBase-Thrift gateway, perhaps?

> So far we've experimented with Java, C++ and Python communication
> and it's been a relatively smooth ride.
>
> What we like:
> - Simple, straightforward IDL (and Mark's tutorial in IDL form was
> a great idea).
> - Copious amounts of generated code (e.g. skeleton C++ server,
> Python-remote client).
>
> What we're wondering about:
> - Am I correct that you're permitted one service per socket?  It
> seems like you'd have to strike a balance between a single massive
> service and having several ports open.  Something about this
> doesn't pass the sniff test for me.  Are people really just
> defining one massive service definition?
This is true - one service per socket. Typically, my services don't
get that big, and generally I'm not trying to cram more than one
service into a single interface. On occasion, I have used multiple
ports per server process to export multiple interfaces. Note that
Thrift is not meant to be something like XML-RPC where you can host
multiple services and provide discovery, etc - it's purpose built to
handle a single type of client-server communication.

> - Is there a plan to transfer comments to the generated
> interfaces?  I have to keep peeking back at the IDL comments to see
> what exactly it is I should be returning (or expecting).  There's
> certainly an argument here for clear method naming although I think
> you get my point :)

At least in the Java and Ruby generators, if you comment an object
with /** */ (so-called javadoc comments), they will get transferred
to the generated code.

-Bryan