thrift-user mailing list archives

From Rob Slifka <rsli...@sfu.ca>
Subject [Java] Possible to overload service methods?
Date Mon, 31 Aug 2009 19:05:58 GMT
Hi everyone,

I discovered today that the Java Thrift compiler precludes service method overloading. I don't
see an open issue under the Java compiler component and I don't see this limitation mentioned
in the tutorial so I thought I would get the official response here :)

For example, take these two services:

i32 foo (1:String bar)
i32 foo (1:i32 baz)

...which get generated into the following:

send_foo(String bar)
send_foo(int baz)

However, the per-method "receive" classes and method signatures don't take this into account:

recv_foo()

and

private class foo implements ProcessFunction

Question:

- From a feature perspective, is it supported?

If yes: I'll file a bug against the Java compiler.

If no: I'll update the Thrift wiki where appropriate. I'll also file a bug to have the compiler
error when identically-named methods are detected.

Thanks!

Rob