thrift-user mailing list archives

From "Rob S." <rsli...@sfu.ca>
Subject Re: Introduction and question
Date Fri, 14 Aug 2009 06:56:43 GMT
>> Just recently learned of Thrift while reading about NoSQL (I can't
>> recall the connection either, don't ask ;)  I've already made some
>> trivial updates to the Wiki as I come up to speed.
>
> HBase-Thrift gateway, perhaps?

Yep!  Good call ;)

>> - Am I correct that you're permitted one service per socket?  It
>> seems like you'd have to strike a balance between a single massive
>> service and having several ports open.  Something about this
>> doesn't pass the sniff test for me.  Are people really just
>> defining one massive service definition?
> This is true - one service per socket. Typically, my services don't
> get that big, and generally I'm not trying to cram more than one
> service into a single interface. On occasion, I have used multiple
> ports per server process to export multiple interfaces. Note that
> Thrift is not meant to be something like XML-RPC where you can host
> multiple services and provide discovery, etc - it's purpose built to
> handle a single type of client-server communication.

We're just getting started although we have at least 3 languages in
play with many interfaces for each and lots of APIs.

We submitted a patch to thrift-dev today, to add this functionality in
a lightweight, Thrift-based manner (i.e. plug-in to existing object
model w/out mods to TProtocol or TServers).

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts!

Many committers seem to be west coast.  I was just in downtown PA
tonite, parked in front of the old FB office on Hamilton no less ;)

> At least in the Java and Ruby generators, if you comment an object
> with /** */ (so-called javadoc comments), they will get transferred
> to the generated code.

Perfect!

Thanks Bryan,

Rob