thrift-user mailing list archives

From Rush Manbert <r...@manbert.com>
Subject Serialization byte order
Date Sat, 16 Jan 2010 00:05:19 GMT
Probably a dumb question, but I'm not proud and it's better to be safe than sorry. (My Dad
always told me that.)

We have found that Thrift is the Swiss Army Knife of software packages, at least for what
we do. One of the things we are planning to do involves serializing objects into a data buffer
and never sending them over the wire.

The algorithm we want to use this for depends absolutely on accessing the bytes in the serialization
buffer in the same order from any language and on any platform. When asked whether the Thrift
code always writes the serialized bytes into memory in the same order, I always answer, "Of
course they do. The bytes need to be in network byte order."

Here's the question: Am I correct abut this?

Thanks,
Rush