thrift-user mailing list archives

From Rush Manbert <r...@manbert.com>
Subject Re: ThriftMsvcPatch - Make the C++ runtime library be compatible with Windows and Visual Studio
Date Tue, 05 Jan 2010 20:47:25 GMT
Hi Shane,

There certainly seems to be something strange going on with your setup. I don't see these
errors, but I do recognize the names.

Down in thriftTop\lib\cpp\msvc\libthrift there is a libthrift.sln solution file. You can also
see that there are folders for the projects that are in that solution. One project is called
BuildAll and another is called dummyLibthriftz.

But if you open libthrift.sln, you can see that neither of those projects does anything. All
BuildAll does is depend on the library projects. IIRC, dummyLibthriftz is just there so that
the higher level solution file at thriftTop\msvc\masterSolution\masterSolution.sln has a target
name to build when we can't build libthriftz.

Here is something you can try. Go to thriftTop\msvc and delete the entire configGenerated
subdirectory. Then run your configure again. After it completes, cd to the newly created configGenerated
directory and run "nmake all >all.txt" to capture stdout to a file. If you get an error,
please zip the all.txt file and email it to me off list. I'll take a look and see if I can
figure anything out. In fact, if you get an error, please zip up the configGenerated directory
and send it along with the build transcript.

I hadn't thought of this before. Are you building with nmake, or are you opening the masterSolution
and building by hand?

- Rush

P.S. As an aside that may or may not mean anything, I have now cleanly configured and built
using the zlib binary distribution, but also without using zlib at all, with both the original
configure.js and the new version. If you want to ditch your use of zlib we could try to figure
out why that didn't work for you.

On Jan 5, 2010, at 11:53 AM, Shane Gannon wrote:

> Rush/Michael
> Thank you for the modified configure.js. When I used this new file it removed the fatal
error LNK1104 error. I'm now left with
> Error	1	general error c1010070: Failed to load and parse the manifest. The system cannot
find the file specified.	.\Win32\DLL_Debug\dummyLibthriftz.exe.intermediate.manifest	dummyLibthriftzError
2	general error c10100b1: Failed to load file "..\DLL_Debug\BuildAll.exe". The system cannot
find the path specified.	mt.exe	BuildAll
> Rush since you are not getting these errors I'll assume that it is specify to my setup
and investigate a little further.