thrift-user mailing list archives

From MSR <msr9...@gmail.com>
Subject Thrift async capabailities
Date Sat, 13 Feb 2010 06:03:50 GMT
Hi,

I am trying to get information about thrift capabilities and see if it is a
good fit for our project. I have been trying to read documentation and
mailing lists.

I have a few question.s and really appreciate if someone can answer them.

 Lets say I have two services,

Foo1();
Foo2();

On The server Side:(C++)
1. I want to be able to run on Single Port (for both services) and support
large (thousands) number clients. Is this possible?
2. I want thread support. i.e. I want both Foo1 and Foo2 to run
simultaneously on different threads.
3. Can I send responses asynchronously at much later time? i.e. lets say
Foo1 needs to talk to some other server to get the answer. Obviously, I
don't want my thread to be blocked on that. I would like to be able send the
response back at a later without blocking anywhere.
4. Can there be multiple pending calls for the same service from the same
client. My code can differentiate which call came from which client.
5.On the same note, can responses be sent out of order?

On the client side(C#)
1. Can I use one connection to request multiple services?
2. Similar to question 4 above. Can the client make multiple pending RPC
calls on the same connection (My code will know which response corresponds
to which request).

Thanks,
MSR