thrift-user mailing list archives

From Brian Cline <br...@briancline.org>
Subject Re: Authentication mechanisms
Date Sat, 17 Apr 2010 19:12:33 GMT
In general, authentication is an application-level control and it would be impossible for Thrift
to provide a framework-level silver bullet for all possible kinds of authentication schemes.
It is also assumed that Thrift runs in a totally trusted environment where messages can be
freely exchanged between a controlled set of machines. For user authenticated requests, it
makes more sense to pass some kind of token along with an authenticated API request (as Dave
mentions was done in Evernote's API), rather than adding another state layer within Thrift
to hold application-level data like authentication tokens.

That being said, the beauty of open source frameworks is that you can both examine and modify
what's under the hood to fit your needs.