thrift-user mailing list archives

From Ted Zlatanov <...@lifelogs.com>
Subject Re: poor Perl vs. Java Thrift performance in Cassandra
Date Mon, 10 May 2010 16:52:49 GMT
On Mon, 10 May 2010 09:23:57 -0700 Bryan Duxbury <bryan@rapleaf.com> wrote:

BD> I can't really speak to the Perl library, but I personally have spent *lots*
BD> of time optimizing the Java libraries. I suspect that with some time put in,
BD> you'll be able to find a lot of room for improvement.

BD> The next step is probably to create a JIRA ticket for Perl performance
BD> enhancements, and then get crackin'. Hopefully those with more Perl
BD> experience will show up to review and comment on any patches you create.

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-775

The current maintainer of the Perl support is probably the best person
to lead this effort.  My suggestions are probably lacking the background
necessary to optimize the code properly.  I also can't dedicate
sufficient time to this work to complete it quickly by myself (I don't
know Thrift well from the inside), so it would be very helpful if I
could at least work with someone who can help me initially.

Thanks
Ted