thrift-user mailing list archives

From Mark Slee <ms...@facebook.com>
Subject RE: heterogeneous collections
Date Tue, 04 May 2010 19:08:02 GMT
Right, I don't think the actual memory usage is as big a concern as the interaction with the
TCP stack. This could effectively force you to use an application-space buffer that may be
far bigger than your TCP buffer, so you're just unnecessarily batching stuff up on top.

I agree this is almost *never* an issue in practice. I basically feel that way about this
entire discussion, actually.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bryan Duxbury [mailto:bryan@rapleaf.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 11:49 AM
To: thrift-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: heterogeneous collections

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Mark Slee <mslee@facebook.com> wrote:

> also mandates the use of an internal buffer *at least* as large as the
> largest complex object you are going to serialize

I think this is a bit of a red herring. In general, the size of the object
you're trying to serialize, which must already be in memory, will dwarf the
size of the object when it is serialized, except perhaps in very particular
cases. You'd basically have to be operating at the edge of free memory
already for it to be that much of an issue.