thrift-user mailing list archives

From Ran Tavory <ran...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RPC for java/python with rest support, HTML monitoring and goodies
Date Mon, 03 May 2010 17:14:48 GMT
2010/5/3 Bjørn Borud <bborud@gmail.com>

> On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Ran Tavory <rantav@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > So far I've looked at thrift and avro and they are both nice in some
> ways,
> > but don't check all my list.
> >

> it might be very useful if you briefly summarized the top N things you feel
> lacks from Thrift.

- HTTP rest support (xml, json, jsonp)
- Web form debugging
- monitoring. performance during the last 5 min, 1 h etc, just like
google's... via a web monitoring form, plus JMX in java
- async calls (maybe it does have that - not sure...)
- Easy backward compatibility. Not actually sure how it works in thrift -
can I remove fields? Can I add them only at the end? Do I have to manually
manage version numbers and field numbers? I think in that sense avro claims
to be better.

> (I regularly pester people at Google to get them to release their own RPC
> mechanism built on protobuf, but it doesn't look like I've been able to
> provoke enough interest.  I happen to like the RPC mechanism used in Google
> quite a lot, but for now I am using Thrift).

the internal google rpc is nice, yes, but unfortunately only google has
it...
I've seen a few public RPC frameworks based on protobuf but couldn't tell
how ready they are.