thrift-user mailing list archives

From Kevin Clark <kevin.cl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Thrift 0.3.0 RC1
Date Mon, 03 May 2010 22:48:50 GMT
The non-gem version respected DESTDIR if I recall (that was the
mechanism I used to use to package it), but that was tossed when the
gem package (the defacto main distribution) became the only package.
We figured it didn't matter much - the only people not using gems tend
to be people repackaging into some other system (OS distro maintainers
and other one offs, though this included me at the time). Thrift may
want to make it clear in the README that it's now the only supported
way to install for Ruby.

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Bryan Duxbury <bryan@rapleaf.com> wrote:
> You might call me the ruby maintainer. However, I don't think I'll be of
> much help with this one, since I only use the gem version of the ruby libs.
>
> On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Anthony Molinaro <
> anthonym@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:
>
>> The ruby stuff also has the annnoying bit where it doesn't use destdir
>> with 'make install' which pretty much makes it impossible to package
>> thrift using traditional means.  For the RPM and debs I build of thrift
>> I run with --without-ruby to work around this.  It would be awesome if
>> whoever was the ruby maintainer were to figure out how to get it's install
>> target working with destdir...
>>
>> -Anthony
>>
>> On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 03:20:57PM -0700, Mark Slee wrote:
>> > This only appears to be in the lib/rb directory, though. I'm not seeing
>> any .o files in the C++ library or the compiler, for instance.
>> >
>> > mcslee@devrs001 /tmp/thrift/thrift-0.3.0 $find . -name "*.o"
>> > ./lib/rb/ext/binary_protocol_accelerated.o
>> > ./lib/rb/ext/compact_protocol.o
>> > ./lib/rb/ext/memory_buffer.o
>> > ./lib/rb/ext/protocol.o
>> > ./lib/rb/ext/struct.o
>> > ./lib/rb/ext/thrift_native.o
>> >
>> > I agree these shouldn't be distributed. The solution can be as simple as
>> manually removing them from the release for now until we get the make thing
>> properly patched.
>> >
>> > This issue aside, I'm a +1 on the rc1 candidate. It compiled without
>> issue for me (though again I have --with-ruby=no, so a ruby user should
>> confirm that stuff is working).

make dist".

>> > --
>> > Todd Lipcon