thrift-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>
Subject Re: heterogeneous collections
Date Mon, 03 May 2010 14:09:42 GMT
Generally, we've said that it could be possible, but we haven't made it so
yet.

My personal preference would be not to support this. I understand the need
for heterogeneous collections, but I think that "any" is a pretty broad
category to allow in a collection and not have to compromise something.

There is already a totally viable workaround, though - make a Union of the
types you want in your collection, and then make the field list<YourUnion>.
You get basically all the capabilities with very few drawbacks, plus the
ability to include multiple logical "types" in the collection, not just
physical types. Of course, if you literally need "any" possible object to go
into the collection, then this won't do it for you.

-Bryan