thrift-user mailing list archives

From "Arun Kumar Raj Voruganti" <voruga...@imagediagnost.de>
Subject AW: Using Thrift in Visual Studio 2008
Date Fri, 25 Jun 2010 12:10:26 GMT
Hi Rush,

Thanks for your reply and directing me to JIRA 591. I downloaded the patched
version, but could not generate proper project files. As you mentioned there
are some issues due to which the configure script did not work for Visual
Studio 2008.

Anyway, I created myself a visual c++ library project with your patched
source code and was able to compile easily. When I have time later, I will
try to understand your configure script and make necessary changes for
VS2008.

Best,
Arun Voruganti

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Rush Manbert [mailto:rush@manbert.com]
Gesendet: Thursday, June 24, 2010 5:41 PM
An: thrift-user@incubator.apache.org
Betreff: Re: Using Thrift in Visual Studio 2008

There is a patch available, but the following caveats apply:

1) It does not build the compiler, just the runtime libs. So you need to
process your IDL on another platform and bring the generated code to the
Windows platform. We develop for Mac and Windows, so we generate the code on
the Mac, check it into our repository, and check it out on Wiindows. It's
painful for our guys who only like to develop on Windows, but they're wrong
to think that way anyway so we (who like to develop on the Mac) win. ;-)

2) It is based on the state of the Thrift code as of Sept. 24, 2009, when I
checked out the head of the SVN repository. I haven't had the time to update
it since then.

3) It was developed using VS 2005. It can be converted, but the last person
who did it ran into a couple of problems that I fixed for him, but I have
never had the time to roll the fixes back into the patch. I'm swamped at
work these days, so don't really have much time to help.

Given all that, if you're still interested, the patch is attached to JIRA
591.

- Rush

On Jun 24, 2010, at 6:35 AM, Michael Walsh wrote:

> Rush Manbert was working in this area and there may be a patch on the Jira
for ThriftMSVCPatch to allow libthrift to be compiled using VS.