thrift-user mailing list archives

From "James King" <James_...@Dell.com>
Subject RE: Using Thrift in Visual Studio 2008
Date Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:53:48 GMT
To resolve the clunkiness: On your windows development system set up a
Cygwin environment and build the compiler.  Then download the patch in
Jira issue 740 and integrate it into your Visual Studio 2008 development
environment.  You can then add .thrift files into the IDE and they will
auto-compile into C# code.  You do not have to force everyone to install
Cygwin and build the Thrift compiler; if you put the compiler and a few
DLLs into a well-known place then everybody on your team can use Jira
patch 740 and treat .thrift files natively in the IDE.

- Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Zimmer [mailto:andrew@broadinstitute.org]
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2010 7:50 AM
To: thrift-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Using Thrift in Visual Studio 2008

I would like to be able to build thrift using VS2008, but because it's
rather hard to do this, I resorted to building the compiler on OSX,
moving the generated C# classes over to windows, and building the
runtime as Rush describes.  It works well enough, but it feels a bit
clunky to me.

I'm not a .NET/COM wizard, but I need to make some COM objects that call
Thrift so that--egads!--I can have some ancient vb6 code talk to Thrift
services.  I'm about to buy a book on .NET/COM and VS, but I thought I'd
ask this group if anyone has any experience wrapping C# Thrift bindings
into COM objects, or if there's a way to autogenerate various COM
annotations for C# classes.

So far I'm a big fan of Thrift.  Our perl clients love it, the server
side java code is clean, and our PHP customers are happy.

cheers,
andrew

Rush Manbert wrote:
> Actually, this prompts me to ask the question:
>
> I know of 2 users besides myself. (We are in the process of releasing
a product based on this work) Has anyone else used it or tried it, etc?
There were a number of people who expressed interesst while I was
developing the code, but I haven't heard from anyone but the 2 that I
mentioned.