thrift-user mailing list archives

From Rush Manbert <r...@manbert.com>
Subject Re: Using Thrift in Visual Studio 2008
Date Thu, 24 Jun 2010 15:40:36 GMT
There is a patch available, but the following caveats apply:

1) It does not build the compiler, just the runtime libs. So you need to process your IDL
on another platform and bring the generated code to the Windows platform. We develop for Mac
and Windows, so we generate the code on the Mac, check it into our repository, and check it
out on Wiindows. It's painful for our guys who only like to develop on Windows, but they're
wrong to think that way anyway so we (who like to develop on the Mac) win. ;-)

2) It is based on the state of the Thrift code as of Sept. 24, 2009, when I checked out the
head of the SVN repository. I haven't had the time to update it since then.

3) It was developed using VS 2005. It can be converted, but the last person who did it ran
into a couple of problems that I fixed for him, but I have never had the time to roll the
fixes back into the patch. I'm swamped at work these days, so don't really have much time
to help.

Given all that, if you're still interested, the patch is attached to JIRA 591.

- Rush

On Jun 24, 2010, at 6:35 AM, Michael Walsh wrote:

> Rush Manbert was working in this area and there may be a patch on the Jira for ThriftMSVCPatch
to allow libthrift to be compiled using VS.