thrift-user mailing list archives

From Rush Manbert <r...@manbert.com>
Subject Re: C++ thrift code -- operator < not defined
Date Mon, 26 Jul 2010 21:40:05 GMT
Hi Raghava,

I'm surprised that none of the developers have chimed in, but I'll give it a try.

The compiler declares the operator, but it can't define it for you because, in general, it
can't know what "less than" means for your thrift struct. But the compiler does know that
you'll need to define this operator if you want to put your structure into a set, or use it
as a key in a map, so it helpfully provides the declaration. You need to provide the definition.

I would imaging that we are like many other thrift users. We use it for many things, and have
lots of fairly complicated structures defined, but I have yet to need to write an implementation
for operator<, because we don't use the thrift classes in a way that requires it.

- Rush