thrift-user mailing list archives

From Anthony Molinaro <antho...@alumni.caltech.edu>
Subject Re: erlang server/client closing connections
Date Fri, 13 Aug 2010 21:51:52 GMT

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 11:49:13AM -0700, David Reiss wrote:
> I did a major refactor of the Erlang library that I think might resolve this
> issue.  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-599  With my patch,
> thrift_buffered_transport is no longer a separate process, so there is no
> need for a gen_server call.  This patch hasn't been committed yet because
> at the time I posted it, Facebook hadn't deployed it in production anywhere.
> We have now, though, so if people want, I can check it in.

I would not be opposed, I took a quick look through the client code and it
seems a lot more streamlined, it sort of leaves it up to the client to
spawn a process to handle a client which seems fine.  It probably will help
with this case because it honor's recv_timeout in the server, so if I set
it to something high it will wait that long.

So +1 from me for committing.  I like that it has -spec's now, does it cleanly
pass the dialyzer?  Also, I know with the current version there are lots of
warnings about unused variables, it might be worthwhile to prepend _ to
them, so it builds without warning (this only happens when you use erlc directly
the makefiles hide warnings at the moment).

The one thing that I'm still curious about is why the client doesn't receive
some sort of notification that the server has shutdown.  It must be that
gen_tcp doesn't let the client know?

Again, patch looks good to me, I'll try it out soon.

-Anthony

Anthony Molinaro                           <anthonym@alumni.caltech.edu>