thrift-user mailing list archives

From Sumanta Bhowmik <sumanta.bhow...@guavus.com>
Subject Thrift containers for java
Date Fri, 27 Aug 2010 03:39:05 GMT
Hi

I am using thrift for passing data among multiple layers. Most of our
data is streaming, it is array of primitives like doubles, ints. Thrift
requires  me to use a List in the IDL, which on the Java side translates
to ArrayList of Integers. I find two problems with this approach

1. Integers are heavier than ints are, so it bloats up the memory.
Something like an int[] rather than ArrayList<Integer> would have been
perfect for our kind of usecase.
2. A list of integers is read integer by integer, rather than all of it
in a single shot. This bring down the performance as the 2million
integers mean that many method calls.

Is there a clean way of passing primitive arrays? Thrift provide byte
which is basically byte[], so I guess there should be some way for int[]
or double[] as well.

Regards
Sumanta