thrift-user mailing list archives

From Mina Naguib <mina.nag...@bloomdigital.com>
Subject CPP generator's code will not compile under autoconf
Date Fri, 27 Aug 2010 16:55:22 GMT

Hi folks

I'm running into a peculiar issue with compiling the code outputted by the thrift CPP generator.

Currently using thrift 0.4 against the cassandra 0.6.4 interface file, but I believe the problem
isn't related to a particular version of either (or cassandra at all).

Once the thrift generator is run, the following compiles nicely:
$ g++ -I/usr/local/thrift_04/include/thrift -I/opt/local/include -c gen-cpp/cassandra_constants.cpp
-o gen-cpp/cassandra_constants.o

However, I'm working on a piece of software (libcassandra) which itself uses autotools.  That
means the compile line is very large, however the breakage happens specifically when -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
is added:

$ g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I/usr/local/thrift_04/include/thrift -I/opt/local/include -c gen-cpp/cassandra_constants.cpp
-o gen-cpp/cassandra_constants.o
In file included from gen-cpp/cassandra_constants.cpp:6:
gen-cpp/cassandra_constants.h:17: error: expected unqualified-id before string constant
gen-cpp/cassandra_constants.cpp: In constructor ‘org::apache::cassandra::cassandraConstants::cassandraConstants()’:
gen-cpp/cassandra_constants.cpp:13: error: assignment of read-only location
gen-cpp/cassandra_constants.cpp:13: error: invalid array assignment

The offending line is gen-cpp/cassandra_constants.h:17:
  std::string VERSION;

It's syntactically correct, however:
 * That file includes gen-cpp/cassandra_types.h
 * Which includes Thrift.h
 * Which, if HAVE_CONFIG is defined, includes config.h
 * which does: #define VERSION "0.4.0"

The end result is that the defined VERSION is substituted, causing the generated code to actually
be syntactically invalid:
  std::string "0.4.0";

To work-around the issue, I've edited gen-cpp/cassandra_constants.h, and removed its include
of gen-cpp/cassandra_types.h, which lead to requiring include <strong>.  I suppose another
option is to #undef VERSION

Once that was done, the rest of the files compiled nicely, and the final library and program
ran well.

It's inevitably a hack though, as the next time the code is re-generated from the interface
the same manual editing would need to be done.  I'm also unsure if this is a bug per-se, or
I'm doing something completely wrong w.r.t. my use of autotools in libcassandra.  Ideas are
very welcome.