thrift-user mailing list archives

From Rush Manbert <r...@manbert.com>
Subject Re: Unix Domain Sockets as the transportation layer
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2010 17:51:22 GMT
I don't want to start a debate, but I beg to differ. Unix domain sockets have a couple of nice
features:
1) They don't offer any way for an outsider to access your service, which is possible if you
make a mistake using TCP sockets. The domain sockets don't offer an attack point for a hacker.
2) There are no port numbers to deal with, which just makes things simpler.

My Thrift-in-Windows patch (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-591) adds an Asio
implementation that works for both *nix and Windows (C++ only) and adds Unix Domain Socket
support. Caveat emptor, of course, but we're using it in production on Mac OS X and Windows
so that local applications can talk to a daemon running as a service.

- Rush