thrift-user mailing list archives

From Roger Meier <ro...@bufferoverflow.ch>
Subject Re: questions about javascript client
Date Wed, 08 Sep 2010 19:58:55 GMT
Hi Rafael

here's my perspective:

1.javascript client in a production environment ?
I like to do so! As soon as I or some of my co-worker have time to fix
at least the map type bug (THRIFT-863) and do additional in deep tests
with the current implementation. That's just one of the reasons why I
provided additional tests for the JavaScript Testsuite within test.html.
Another playground for me is the JavaScript tutorial
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-893 that I use to
demonstrate Thrift's simplicity and its usage across Languages... or to
find bugs or neccessary enhancements within the current implementation.

2. configuration on the server side to direct requests to Thrift services?
Apache or Lighttpd proxy module for the Thrift service when using a dedicated Http server
like C++ THttpServer(THRIFT-247) or TServlet running in a Java Web Container, etc...
My favorit configuration is still a C++ Thrift Server using fastcgi as its transport connected
via web server's fastcgi interface.

 From my perspective, Thrift and JavaScript is a real hot combination with a large potential.

One thing to keep in mind is security!
There is no pluggable security layer available right now, so you need additional parameters
with e.g. a SessionId on each function you define within your Thridt IDL.

OAuth, SPENGO, pluggable custom auth layer, etc. is future.... but SASL Auth Layer for JAVA
is already here.

Regards

Roger