thrift-user mailing list archives

From Mark Slee <ms...@facebook.com>
Subject RE: How to send a message from Thrift server to client?
Date Tue, 26 Oct 2010 04:45:34 GMT
This came up on the thrift-dev@ list just earlier today. Re-pasting my reply since the web
archives don't seem to have a thread permalink view.

-----

Thrift doesn't support arbitrary message broadcasting. There aren't really any elegant solutions
for this. The two closest options available are:

(1) Make your clients also be servers, use the "oneway" modifier to have the server connect
to client and send an RPC for which there is no reply

(2) Use a COMET-style hanging request from the client to server with a long timeout -- this
is going to be a mess and require nasty server-side threading

Neither of these are going to be particularly fun to implement. The Thrift server implementations
and network protocol are designed assuming that clients initiate requests to servers, and
servers only speak in direct response to client messages.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gyu [mailto:lazygyu@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2010 8:20 PM
To: thrift-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: How to send a message from Thrift server to client?

I want to know how to send a message from Thrift server to client.

I've searching for the way from so many web sites. But there is no way to that.

What I want to make is..

1.	An event happened in the server.
2.	Then the server send an event message to a client.
3.	Finally, client receive that message and display that.

Of course, other ways(like to use pooling in AJAX) I can do I know. But it’s not
in real time.
I really sick with this problem. Please help me~ T_T