thrift-user mailing list archives

From Richard Salz <rs...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Any interest in annotations (pragma's)?
Date Thu, 10 Mar 2011 17:04:09 GMT
I'm not sure what the right word is.  I'm thinking of a mechanism to
indicate changes in the local run-time behavior.  That's important, it
would not change any of the "bytes on the wire."  For example,
        pragma cpp { string=utf8 }
        pragma cpp { string=wchar }
could indicate how to handle strings -- as UTF8 or as wchar_t, etc.  The
namespace keyword would ideally become a pragma.
My interest is because I want to have custom marshalling routines, to map
complex data-types into something that can be sent on-the-wire.

They should probably have scoping rules, allowing you to place them at the
file, typedef, function, or field/parameter level. Getting the syntax
right will be hard.  But it seems like it would be a reasonable way to let
things evolve.

Thoughts?

        /r$

--