thrift-user mailing list archives

From Mark Slee <ms...@fb.com>
Subject RE: use thrift to create an interface from ruby to C++ and use it as webservice
Date Tue, 26 Apr 2011 22:17:01 GMT
This is certainly doable with Thrift.

Technically, it won't be a "web" service, as Thrift doesn't offer and off-the-shelf C++ HTTP
server implementation. You would have to embed Thrift in another server if you want HTTP.

It's worth noting that the C++ servers we have for Thrift are not really designed to be used
on the open internet. They tend to assume that you are in a protected intranet environment,
behind a firewall. If this is just for a thesis project and not something you realistically
need to worry about being defended against potentially malicious internet traffic, Thrift
should be able to get you off the ground running very quickly.

Cheers,
mcslee

-----Original Message-----
From: Matias Hernandez Arellano [mailto:msdark@archlinux.cl]
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:51 PM
To: user@thrift.apache.org
Subject: use thrift to create an interface from ruby to C++ and use it as webservice

(Sorry for my english)
Hi!, this is my first attempt to use Thrift, i arrive from a stackoverflow answer.

First i tell about the idea/problem next the question.

I have an application created with C++ that takes an image and make some processing with this,
then return a result. This have to be donde with C++ for performance purpose. The application
run with OpenCV, armadillo and FANN, the return value can be True or False (1 or 0).

The idea is to have an application running on a mobile device (or any other device) and take
a picture and send to a server where the C++ application take it, process and return a response.
The mobile device have to able to send the image and wait for the response to take and action.

The first idea was create a webservice to expose the C++ functionality, i thought about rails,
but i can't find a way to solve this problem, so finally i found Thrift.

The question.

It's possible to use Thrift for this?

My idea:

Create a Server written in C++ to run the processing application (create this server with
Thrift).

And create, with thrift, the code to use this server, and use this code to make a implementation
in the mobile device.

The application is for my thesis for Computer Science.

Thanks in advance.

--
Matías Hernandez Arellano
Ingeniero de Software/Proyectos en VisionLabs S.A