thrift-user mailing list archives

From Mark Slee <ms...@fb.com>
Subject RE: use thrift to create an interface from ruby to C++ and use it as webservice
Date Tue, 26 Apr 2011 22:36:48 GMT
That should work fine, though it'll require you to write a bit more plumbing code for passing
the image and file data around. Assuming the ruby/php webserver just takes care of this for
you (which most of them do), it's probably not a bad approach.

Thrift will make communicating between the ruby/php web process and a C++ server very easy.

-----Original Message-----
From: Matias Hernandez Arellano [mailto:msdark@archlinux.cl]
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:36 PM
To: user@thrift.apache.org
Subject: Re: use thrift to create an interface from ruby to C++ and use it as webservice

Thanks for your response...

So, i get another idea: create a php/ruby interface to use the GET http method to specify
the image that need to upload .. (http://myserver.dom/upload.php?file=/dir/to/image/image.jpeg
i know this is not secure but this will work i guess) and this interface communicate with
the C++ application (a thrift server) to make the calculations and then send a response to
the device ...

Am i right?? thrift can do the communication between a web client and C++ so i think this
won't be a problem (the idea)..

Thanks a lot for your time.

El 26-04-2011, a las 18:17, Mark Slee escribió:

> This is certainly doable with Thrift.
>
> Technically, it won't be a "web" service, as Thrift doesn't offer and off-the-shelf C++
HTTP server implementation. You would have to embed Thrift in another server if you want HTTP.

> It's worth noting that the C++ servers we have for Thrift are not really designed to
be used on the open internet. They tend to assume that you are in a protected intranet environment,
behind a firewall. If this is just for a thesis project and not something you realistically
need to worry about being defended against potentially malicious internet traffic, Thrift
should be able to get you off the ground running very quickly.

> Cheers,
> mcslee

this, then return a result. This have to be donde with C++ for performance purpose. The application
run with OpenCV, armadillo and FANN, the return value can be True or False (1 or 0).

> The idea is to have an application running on a mobile device (or any other device) and
take a picture and send to a server where the C++ application take it, process and return
a response. The mobile device have to able to send the image and wait for the response to
take and action.

> The first idea was create a webservice to expose the C++ functionality, i thought about
rails, but i can't find a way to solve this problem, so finally i found Thrift.