thrift-user mailing list archives

From Bjørn Borud <bbo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Help on Netty Based Thrift Server
Date Mon, 18 Apr 2011 09:25:45 GMT
On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Abhishek Kona <abhishek.kona@gmail.com>wrote:

> Has anyone used a Thrift server with Netty as the connection layer, have
> heard some good things about it (apparently twitter is using it).
> I have tried to creating a netty based thrift server by using the
> TNettyTransport available at    https://github.com/cgbystrom/netty-tools
> So any help / sample code in this regard is greatly welcome.
> Also it would be nice to hear about other people(s) experience using thrift
> and Netty.

I've been out of touch with Thrift development for a while now, but I think
the issue has been raised before.  It would have been nice to use Netty for
all the network related code.  not least because this would make it easy to
benefit from work that people have done to add codecs to the library.  for
instance, compression and encryption are fairly easy to add to a Netty-based
application in just a few lines of code.

there is no point in maintaining your own low level networking code when you
have libraries like Netty.  (and I say that as someone who has written a
couple of NIO abstraction libraries -- one of which serves hundreds of
millions of users every day.  If I were still at the company in question I
would probably have switched that piece of software over to Netty already)

-Bjørn