thrift-user mailing list archives

From Richard Salz <rs...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: use thrift to create an interface from ruby to C++ and use it as webservice
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2011 01:13:08 GMT
Alex <alex323@gmail.com> wrote on 04/26/2011 08:44:22 PM:

> What is it about them that makes it unsuitable for public use? I am
> currently running a Thrift server (Ruby) in a production environment
> for remote clients.

First, note that Mark was referring to the C++ servers, not Ruby. But that
doesn't mean the Ruby stuff is "safe" either. It could be; nobody's making
any comment on it.

In general, there is a huge amount of work involved in moving a server
from a friendly behind-a-firewall environment, where clients make mistakes
but aren't malicious, and putting that code into the Internet, where there
are enough malicious folks out there to cause you trouble.

For example, suppose someone open a TCP connection and then lets it sit
idle, or sends a byte every five seconds.  How many of those clients do
you need before your server becomes unavailable, perhaps costing you
revenue?

And so on. :(

        /r$

--