thrift-user mailing list archives

From Ivan Larionov <ilario...@ksf.kiev.ua>
Subject Thrift in OSGi
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2011 13:37:11 GMT
Dear All,

I would be really grateful if someone could comment on the following.

There is THRIFT-184 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-184>
in JIRA which presents Thrift as an OSGi bundle. One
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-184?focusedCommentId=13146043&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13146043>of

the comments refers to the build that incorporates manifest metadata in
the Thrift's jar. I tried this bundle and it seems incomplete at the least:

1. It does not export other packages, such as
org.apache.thrift.transport, org.apache.thrift.server, etc (for
instance, I need org.apache.thrift.transport exported to implement my
own transport).

2. It does not import packages on which it depends. For instance,
javax.servlet or various org.apache.http.* packages. Therefore I presume
it will fail to work properly in OSGi runtime as well.

3. The version 0.8.0-snapshot appearing in the manifest is invalid.
According to OSGi spec the version should be in form:

version ::=
major( '.' minor ( '.' micro ( '.' qualifier )? )? )?
major ::= number // See 1.3.2
minor ::= number
micro ::= number
qualifier ::= ( alphanum | '_' | '-' )+

Additionally, It does not resolve in Eclipse PDE as a consequence of
point 2, 3, as far as I am concerned. Should the THRIFT-184
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-184> be reopened?

I am really looking forward to your reply.

--
Best regards,
Ivan Larionov