thrift-user mailing list archives

From Ivan Larionov <ilario...@ksf.kiev.ua>
Subject Re: Thrift in OSGi
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 12:54:59 GMT
Hi Jake,

I have tried that patch. It works fine for me. It resolves equally well
in eclipse target definition and osgi runtime. Though I would like to
note a few points:
1. org.apache.thrift.libthrift symbolic name for a bundle seems a bit
redundant. Is there a reson why it is not name org.apache.thrift ?
2. The bundle imports a lot of packages that might be absent in other
users' environments. Some users might not want to use Apache HTTP client
or servlets. I would suggest making them optional, if possible.

On 11.11.2011 7:08, Jake Farrell wrote:
> I have attached a patch to Thrift-184 that will help anyone trying to use thrift with
osgi. There are a couple issues with the maven bundle plugin that I ran into that I would
like to address before committing this, but the jar that is generated is fine and passes all
current test we have. Please give it a try and let me know if you see any problems

> -Jake
>

> On Nov 9, 2011, at 8:06 AM, Jeff Liu wrote:
>
>> Yes, you have to export other packages.  Our
>> thrift.jar/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF: (thrift version: 0.6)
>>
>> Manifest-Version: 1.0
>> Ant-Version: Apache Ant 1.8.2
>> Created-By: 1.6.0_26-b03-384-10M3425 (Apple Inc.)
>> Implementation-Version: 0.6.1
>> Bundle-Name: Apache Thrift
>> Bundle-Description: Apache Thrift library
>> Bundle-SymbolicName: org.apache.thrift
>> Bundle-ManifestVersion: 2
>> Bundle-Version: 0.6.1
>> Export-Package: org.apache.thrift,
>> org.apache.thrift.async,
>> org.apache.thrift.meta_data,
>> org.apache.thrift.transport,
>> org.apache.thrift.protocol,
>> org.apache.thrift.server
>> Import-Package: org.slf4j
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Jeff
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 9:37 PM, Ivan Larionov<ilarionov@ksf.kiev.ua>  wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> I would be really grateful if someone could comment on the following.
>>>
>>> There is THRIFT-184<https://issues.apache.org/**jira/browse/THRIFT-184<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-184>>
>>> in JIRA which presents Thrift as an OSGi bundle. One<
>>> https://issues.apache.org/**jira/browse/THRIFT-184?**
>>> focusedCommentId=13146043&**page=com.atlassian.jira.**
>>> plugin.system.issuetabpanels:**comment-tabpanel#comment-**13146043<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-184?focusedCommentId=13146043&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13146043>>of
>>> the comments refers to the build that incorporates manifest metadata in the
>>> Thrift's jar. I tried this bundle and it seems incomplete at the least:
>>>
>>> 1. It does not export other packages, such as org.apache.thrift.transport,
>>> org.apache.thrift.server, etc (for instance, I need

--
Best regards,
Ivan Larionov