thrift-user mailing list archives

From Rush Manbert <r...@manbert.com>
Subject Re: How to have a server manage sub-processes?
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2012 17:51:51 GMT
Thrift is about two things:
* Easily seralizable data objects (there are many uses for that alone)
* RPC using those data objects

so its job is to let your clients talk to your server and vice versa. But how your server
spawns and manages subprocesses or threads is not part of thrift. The threaded server  allows
for a server thread per transaction, but once again if the server thread wants to spawn subthreads
or subprocesses that is done independently of Thrift.

I think the short answer to your question "What's the best way to do that with Thrift?" is
that you don't do that with Thrift.

I don't feel like I'm helping you particularly well here, it may be that I don't really understand
your question.

- Rush

On Jan 30, 2012, at 7:46 AM, Christian, Daniel wrote:

> I didn't see any supported way to add my file descriptors to thrift, get thrift to (non-destructively)
timeout from read, or export thrift file descriptors to an external select/poll (the latter
seems possible, it just doesn't look "supported").

> Am I missing something?  I'm new to thrift, so I'm still learning about it.
>
> -Dan

has nothing to do with Thrift. Thrift uses posix to implement its internal scheduler, but
you are not limited by that at all. (You certainly don't need to use the Thrift scheduler.)
We use boost threads in our code.

> - Rush
>
> On Jan 27, 2012, at 1:11 PM, Christian, Daniel wrote:
>
>> My server process needs to spawn some sub processes and interact with them occasionally
over stdin/stdout (and notice if they die).